Saturday, May 10, 2014

Manga-Mania May: A. I. Love You.

There are some things I will never understand. Like, how come Blood Lad aren't better known, or why MxO weren't translated to English, or why Ratman doesn't have a anime based on it.
But in this case what I dont understand is: how come Love Hina, and not THIS translated to Danish? It's WAY better!
A. I. Love You is the "older sister" to Ken Akamatsu's Love Hina. It follows the 16 years old Hitoshi Kobe, who pretty much suck at everything(gee, how original), except for computers. Having no girlfriend, Hitoshi creates a A. I. (artificial intelligence) to he girl of his dreams. But one night, a lightning-bolt strikes his computer, and the A. I. named Saati is brought to life. And she still loves Hitoshi.
... On many levels, that's kinda disturbing if you allow yourself to think about it...
They now live a weird life together, where Saati must help her understanding what it means to be human, and Saati teach Hitoshi how to be a man.
Now you may ask; why do you like this manga more than Love Hina?
First, and possibly most importantly, the cast in the series is much smaller. This gives plenty of room for the characters, and it is easier to care about them.
Secondly, it's not as chaotic as Love Hina. I know that it's part of it's charm, but it sometimes bugs me how out of control the story sometimes is. Sure, really, REALLY weird stuff happens in A. I Love You, but it's under control, or as much as you can expect considered that the female lead is a A. I.
There has been stories about non-living things getting life, such as the ever so classic tale about Pinocchio, but the fact that Saati is a program has been used to it's fullest, with every kind of plot-twist, and every kind of joke possible in this eight book series. I'm pretty sure that the "guy creates girlfriend" story is a considerably original idea (sucks to be you, Frankenstein). And even though Saati doesn't understand everything that happens around her, she is anything but a dumb bimbo.
If you want to see what else Ken Akamatsu wrote, check out A. I. Love You. It's defiantly on my top 5 over mangas.
One down, 21 to go.
I'm Waezi2, and thanks for wasting time with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment